Protecting Students on University Campuses from Increasing Levels of Antisemitism
Wednesday, December 20, 2023 • 12:00 pm – 1:00 PM EST • Virtual
In response to the growing surge of antisemitism on college campuses, Matas Law Society aims to provide lawyers with invaluable insights and strategies for protecting Jewish students’ rights and well-being. Recent events, such as anti-Israel protests and inadequate responses from university administrations, have pushed Jewish students to seek legal remedies. Join us to hear from an expert panel to boost your understanding of the legal bases for protecting students and your ability to help by:
• Examining recent incidents and trends of antisemitism on university campuses, including notable cases involving TMU and Concordia, and their impact on campus life
• Reviewing legal requirements for relevant causes of action and evaluating potential strategies
• Critically assessing the challenges and limitations of using the legal system to combat antisemitism on university campuses
• Comparing approaches by various universities and their advisory boards in responding to antisemitism and hate speech
• Formulating recommendations and action plans for lawyers and legal professionals to support Jewish students and combat antisemitism on college campuses
Join us for this informative CPD webinar to gain the knowledge and tools you need to respond to the pressing issue of antisemitism on campuses and contribute to the protection of Jewish students’ rights and safety.
- Michael N. Bergman. Founder and principal of Bergman & Associates
He is a veteran legal strategist, a tenacious negotiator, and a seasoned litigator. Going on forty years of law practice, he has pleaded before the trial and appellate Courts of Québec, Ontario, the trial and appellate Federal Courts, the Supreme Court of Canada, the United States District Court and diverse administrative bodies. Mr. Bergman has represented clients before official committees of the Parliament of Canada and the National Assembly of Québec. He has steered and coordinated international litigation between several countries.
Mr. Bergman has acted as legal negotiator in a variety of commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and financing arrangements. He has acted as legal advisor for global corporations in the engagement, discharge, and international movement of senior personnel.
- R. Michael Teper. US Business Advisor
He is a member of the Ontario and New York bars, and works as a US tax accountant. In his spare time, he is active in confronting antisemitism in the education sector, and in holding school boards accountable through the freedom of information laws. He is also a board member of the Canadian Antisemitism Education Foundation.
MODERATOR: Ilit Aharonson Mannheim, LLM. Legal Affairs B’nai Brith Canada
For more information about this event, contact us at:
[email protected] | 416.633.6224 ext. 105
Encourage your Jewish legal colleagues to Join the Matas Law Society.
This program is eligible for up to 1 substantive hour in Ontario and may be considered as a learning activity in your mandatory annual CPD plan in Alberta and in Nova Scotia.
*The views expressed by the speakers are his own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Matas Law Society or B’nai Brith Canada